Dorm Life Advice
As a college student who has lived on campus in dorms for three years, I can honestly say it’s been a great experience. It allows you to be moments away from your classes, live with all your friends and make the most of your college campus.
But how can you make living in the dorm awesome when the idea of sharing a room with a complete stranger is always in the back of your mind? Check out these tips:
- Decorate your room in a way that you love. If you feel at home in your dorm, you’ll actually like it.
- Make friends with other people in your building. Go and hang out in their rooms sometimes for a change of scenery without actually having to leave.
- Invite friends over to hang out in your room sometimes. Having company will make spending time in your room more fun.
- Leave the dorm. Go out and explore campus with your friends. Be spontaneous and go find something fun to do off campus with friends from your dorm.
- Make sure you have all the necessities with you. There’s no worse feeling than walking down to the basement to do laundry than realizing that you don’t have any laundry detergent…or worse, any quarters to pay with.
- Bring extra blankets and fans. Yes those contradict each other, but dorm temperatures can fluctuate a lot and you’ll want to be prepared.
- Set rules for you and your roommate – for example you might not have a problem sharing clothes with them, but when they start eating all of your food and only wearing your clothes then it becomes a problem.
So yes, living in a dorm room with a stranger can be a weird idea – but who knows, you could end up being best friends and making friends with everyone else in your building. Just make the most of your dorm life and have fun with it!