Funny and Sad Fears — A List of Crazy + Weird Phobias
We can all become scared sometimes, but was that fear grows out of control it will become a phobia. But, some of these legitimate phobias are just too funny. Who would be so afraid of something like “Being watched by a duck.” This list of phobias will surely get you through hump day.
Anatidaephobia is the very real fear of being watched by a duck. This is only the tip of the iceberg of funny phobias. It is a cruel thing to laugh at another’s misfortune and anxiety, but some things are just silly to be scared of.
There are some socially accepted fears such as; snakes, germs, large spaces, small spaces, and huge groups of people. These phobias are widely accepted around the world. Does that mean that they are more real for the sufferer than a fear of, lets say, a color?
Each individual that sufferers from their unique fear believes whatever they are terrified of to be a real evil in the world that is out to get them. We may laugh, but these folks live in constant terror.
Here is a list of some of the more odd phobias.
1. Nomatophobia – This is the fear of names.
2. Vestiophobia – This is the fear of clothing.
3. Syngenesophobia – This is the fear of relatives.
4. Stasibasiphobia – This is the fear of walking.
5. Olfactophobia – This is the fear of smells.
6. Verbophobia – This is the fear of words. I guess you wouldn’t be reading this if you had this phobia, huh?
7. Proctophobia- Fear of rectums.
8. Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words. Seems vicious to make the word for a fear of long words to be so long.
9. Xanthophobia- Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.
10. Pogonophobia- Fear of beards.
Pretty crazy, huh? If you want to learn about more there is a great list at phobiaslist.com. Enjoy. Remember that these fears are very real for those that suffer from them, weird as they may be.