It’s Election Day – Here Are 10 Strange Facts About Former Presidents
Election Day is finally here. After months and months of campaigning, either Mitt Romney or Barack Obama will be named the 45th president of the United States. While the rest of the nation votes, why not read some interesting information about past leaders of our country? We dug out some interesting facts about the first 44 presidents, to say they are strange is an understatement.
- Grover Cleveland was a cradle robber. He married the daughter of his law partner – he was present at her birth to give you an idea of the age difference. When his partner died, Cleveland became the girl’s legal guardian.
- Thomas Jefferson invented alot of stuff. He invented the polygraph, a pasta maker, the swivel chair, the sundial, and the pedometer.
- President Obama collects “Spiderman” and “Conan The Barbarian” comic books, and has even read every “Harry Potter” book.
- William Henry Harrison’s term as the ninth president is the shortest in history. He was president just under 31 days before inconveniently dying of pneumonia.
- James Garfield was both ambidextrous and fluent in different languages. He could write Greek with one hand while writing Latin with the other.
- It is rumored that President Lincoln predicted his own death, and even warned Congress.
- President Franklin Pierce was arrested during his presidency for running a lady over with a horse, although the charges were later dropped.
- President James Buchanan was the only bachelor in that time that occupied the position of President. He had his niece fill in the role of the First Lady.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt was related to 11 other presidents.
- Herbert Hoovers son had 2 pet alligators, and was the first president to use telephone in the white house.