Perfect Memorial Day Treat [RECIPE]
Memorial Day weekend is almost here, and if you are headed to a cook-out like I am you may be in need of the perfect treat. I found it! The Red, White and Blueberry Trifle.
This treat is perfect for summer, because it's light and sweet. It's also packed with delicious healthy fruit. I have made it the past two years for my family reunion on Memorial Day weekend, and it goes fast! Did I mention it's super easy?
I have found a couple of things that make this dish a quick fix, although I usually make it the day before our annual cook out. First of all, I buy an angel food cake already prepared. I use Cool Whip for the whipped topping and Borden Eagle condensed milk. Before I get started on the cream mixture, I wash the fruit and slice the strawberries. I break up the angel food cake with my hands while I'm waiting on the mixture to set.
Red White and Blueberry Trifle
10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes*
2 pints strawberries, sliced
2 pints blueberries
For the cream filling:
6 tbsp fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 package sugar-free white chocolate instant pudding mix
12 oz fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- First, whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl. Next, whisk in the white chocolate instant pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set, then fold in the whipped topping.
- Grab a 14-cup trifle dish and arrange half the cake at the bottom of the dish. I usually buy an angel food cake and just break it up into pieces.
- Once the cake is arranged, spread an even layer of blueberries across it.
- After that, spread your cream mixture on top of the blueberries. Some people prefer to pipe it out of a plastic bag, but I like to use a soft spatula.
- Top the cream mixture with a layer of cut strawberries.
- Layer the remaining cake on top of the strawberries.
- Add a second layer of blueberries, and top it with the rest of the cream mixture.
- Finish the dish with the remaining blueberries and strawberries in a pretty pattern on top.
- Finally, cover and refrigerate the dish for at least one hour.
I discovered this recipe on Pinterest, but it originates from skinnytaste.com.