Valentine's Day is supposed to be about love, romance and spending time with your love. But, it doesn't always work out that way, as we found out with our Shot Down By Cupid contest.

Valentine's Day for quite a few East Texans didn't go as they had planned or as they wished. The following stories were submitted by Mix 93-1 listeners, and are now qualified to win a $500 gift card to Elliot's Jewelers, but we need your help with determining the winner. Read the five stories and then vote for the one that you think deserves a little jewelry therapy after suffering through a Valentine's Day like they had.  Names have been removed and replaced by XXXX to protect all involved.  You will be able to vote one time, so read and choose carefully.

Voting ends at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 21 and the winner will be announced after noon the same day.

Here are the stories:


So, about a month ago my grandmother calls and tells me she is coming down to visit for a week and would of course watch the kids on Valentine's day so my husband and I can go on a date (a very rare occasion). I immediately inform him of this news to be sure we can make plans. About four days before our Valentine's date night he informs me that he got the day off.  Now, I am really looking forward to our day together without the children.

Valentine's Day arrives. My day is going as usual with small kids; I make breakfast, I clean up, I get them dressed, etc. Noon rolls around and I'm thinking, OK, I can wait I will just help the kids make a card for their Daddy and Great Grandma.  In the meantime I ask my husband to go to Sweet Gourmet to get some chocolates for Grandma as a thank you as well as a Valentine.  So he leaves and 2 hours go by. I am thinking, "Wow, he must be planning something really special." When he arrived back home he gave Grandma the chocolates then said he would be taking a nap. I am thinking, "It is now 3 p.m. Surely he has something planned? At 6 p.m. he gets up and asks me, "So, what's the plan?" I am keeping my emotions under control at this point and I think he can tell. He then proceeds to start calling restaurants to try and make reservations at 6 p.m. ON VALENTINE'S DAY. Seriously!

After about four phone calls and rejections, he makes a reservation. At this point I am trying not to rip his head off.  It is 7 p.m. we walk out to the car (he doesn't open my door) and I am on the verge of tears. We arrive at the restaurant to find out that it will be a 45-minute wait. THAT IS IT! I walked out to the car crying and let him have it, telling him that I would not eat at that restaurant and pretend to enjoy myself.  When he apologized, he turned it around on me saying that I was busy with the kids. This is NOT an apology in my book. However, I am hungry. So, we went to the Panera Bread drive-through and got a sandwich and salad, ate it in the car silently and returned back home by 8 p.m., just in time to put the kids to bed. So much for a free babysitter and a romantic night out. He still doesn't understand what he did wrong and I am still not speaking to him.



My Valentine's Day actually began on Monday when I found out that I would not be at work on Tuesday. I quickly called my super sweet boyfriend to tell him the good news and within an hour there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered to my classroom. I jokingly sent him a text asking if he knew anything about it and he replied that that was just the beginning and asked me to come to his house that night. We had dinner and a long conversation about our future.

That night I was having trouble going to sleep, so he held me tight and played with my hair for an hour until I feel asleep, even though he had to be up for work the next morning at 5 a.m. Valentine's Day morning was great, passionate kisses before work and sweet texts throughout the morning. THEN at 2 p.m. on Valentine's Day, while I am sitting at lunch with my friend gushing over how great my man is, he calls and tells me that he never wants to see me again. He said he didn't have feelings for me like I had for him and that he was faking everything! So, my morning was straight out of a romance novel and that afternoon I was crying in my car to Adele's "Don't You Remember!"



My name is XXXX and I need some serious jewelry therapy. I have been married to my husband for 14 years, and although he has never really celebrated Valentine's Day -- or as I like to call Love Sucks Day -- this year he really screwed up!

He not only didn't acknowledge the day, this is what he did: I came home at lunch and put a nice meal in the crockpot since we both work, I was wanting everything ready when we walked thru the door so we could hopefully spend some time together. Instead, he stopped after work, bought some beer and proceeded to get drunk by himself and left me in the house watching movies by myself. BUT, this is not the worst, as the night went on and the drunker he got the music he was listening to got LOUDER and LOUDER!! By about 10:30 p.m. I went to the bedroom by myself. By around midnight I was awoken by the music blaring! I went to the garage and asked him to please turn it down, but the more I asked the louder it got! By 2:00 in the morning I was tired and angry because it did not STOP. Then 3:00 rolled around and I was pissed! I was slamming doors and telling him how ungrateful and immature he was acting and I needed my sleep for work the next day. I think he finally passed out in the bed about 3:30 or 4:00 completely clothed, with shoes on and all. At that time, I proceed to the couch until my alarm went off at 6 a.m. for work. It is now the day after Love Sucks Day and I am writing this letter still pissed and very tired, for I am working on very little sleep.



Well, it started off as a nice Valentine's Day. I had just returned back to work after being off over the weekend to attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I brought a King Cake and made goodies for my fellow co-workers. Shortly after sitting down at my desk and starting my daily duties, I was called to the HR office and in came my clinical director, who informed me that after four years of service to the company, I was being laid off from my job due to a "reduction in force."  Talk about a stab to the heart and on Valentine's Day.  Needless to say, this will go down as the worst Valentine's Day for me!



My husband waited until the last minute (as usual) and then calls me and TELLS me, "Hey, I'm at Sam's [and] buying you some roses." Can you say unromantic? He completely ruined any surprise factor period. He also did not sign the card he got me or add "I love you." All that said, the roses are lovely but someone please give him a lesson in the element of surprise, romance and a little planning and not always waiting until the last minute would be nice, too. Basically the day ended with my feelings hurt and him going to bed annoyed because my feelings were hurt. Not a great Valentines Day :(