Fast food is considered dangerous to one’s health, if you ask health food experts. However, in this case, it was nearly fatal and Kentucky Fried Chicken has been ordered to pay up as a result.
KFC will pay $8 million (that’s 8.3 million in US dollars) to an Australian girl who suffered severe brain damage and was left paralyzed after consuming a chicken Twister wrap that was not properly prepared. The company has also been ordered to pay the associated legal costs.
In 2005, seven-year-old Monika Samaan ate one of the restaurant’s wraps and then suffered salmonella encephalopathy, which is a brain injury linked to food poisoning. She also developed a blood infection and septic shock. Members of her family also came down with an illness, claiming Samaan’s problems were a result of the food she ate at a Sydney-based KFC. A court ruled in her favor.
“Monika’s severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family,” her family said. “Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika’s younger siblings. The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent.”
KFC has said it will appeal the decision.