Meet Your Fried Food Finalists for the State Fair of Texas
September brings back Friday night lights and the lights of a ferris wheel and the smell of turkey legs with the Gregg County Fair September 9 through September 17 and the East Texas State Fair is September 23 through October 2.
And, in Dallas, Big Tex will greet us again September 30 through October 23 for the State Fair of Texas.
Every year, we get a taste of foods that on paper make us go "What?!" but yet taste so good. Now, of course, it must be fried something. In the past there has been fried Twinkies, fried ice cream and fried Coke. And this year is another crop of "fried what?!"
Here are your eight finalists for the Big Tex Choice Awards from the Dallas Morning News.
- Caribbean Pineapple Korn-a-Copia: marinated chicken and shrimp over a bed of rice with tropical salsa and a rum glaze
- Deep Fried Bacon Burger Dog Slider on a Stick: mini ground beef patty and stuffed with cheddar cheese, bacon and a beef hot dog before squishing it in a Hawaiian roll. It's then placed on a skewer, topped with a pickle, dipped in tempura and deep fried
- Deep Fried Pulled Pork Funyun Dings: stuffed with pulled pork, pepper jack cheese, pineapple slices and bacon before being dipped in batter and fried
- Fernie's Down Home Chicken Pot Pie Pocket with Mac 'N Cheese Dip: pot pie pocket stuffed with potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, herbs and spices — before being wrapped in flaky pastry dough and fried.
- Fried Jell-O: battered with panko and fried and served with whipped cream
- Injectable Great Balls of BBQ: shredded brisket in a battered ball served with its own pipette of bock barbecue sauce over a bed of coleslaw
- Southern Fried Chicken & Dumplin's: shredded chicken, seasoning, dough and a touch of gravy, rolled into a ball and coated with bread crumbs
- State Fair Cookie Fries: cringle-cut french fry looking cookies with chocolate chip and confetti sprinkles served with strawberry or chocolate sauce
August 28, we will know which "dish" was named "Best Tasting" and "Most Creative" but all will be available for purchase during the State Fair of Texas.
Enjoy the upcoming fair season and happy eating.