News Organizations Back Off Report of Boston Marathon Suspect Arrest
After multiple news organizations, including the Associated Press, CNN and the Boston Globe, among many others, reported that a suspect was in custody in connection to Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon, those reports may have been premature.
Despite the reports of an arrest, the US Attorney’s office and the Boston Police Department are denying that anyone is in custody. Here are tweets from The Boston Globe about the recent events:
In the meantime, The Boston Globe is reporting on Twitter that the federal courthouse in Boston as well as the Brigham & Women’s Hospital are being evacuated.
BREAKING NEWS: Federal court is being evacuated and a witness says Brigham and Women’s Hospital is also being evacuated.
— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) April 17, 2013
We will keep this story updated on the latest information.
Here is the original story released by the Associated Press:
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect has been taken into custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
The official says the suspect is expected in federal court in Boston.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.
We will update as more information becomes available.