After spending Christmas in "summer" clothing, the new year brings with it the "unofficial" start of winter in Texas and the temperatures were dangerously cold this first weekend of the new year. We have learned of a sad story out of the Houston area which is serving as a reminder to take precautions to protect yourself in this cold weather season.

A 34 year old man lost his life in a house fire.

ABC 13 Houston
ABC 13 Houston
loading...

According to ABC 13 in Houston, An investigation is underway after a man was found dead when a fire broke out at a home on Cochran Street in north Houston early Sunday morning. The victim was identified as 34-year-old Rudy Cabrera. It is believed that the victim may have been using his oven to keep warm when the fire broke out because the home had no power or water according to a police detective at the scene.

Family Members and neighbors are saddened and sharing a warning about space heater usage.

Despite the police's take, the victim's aunt says that he may have been using a "space heater" to keep warm. Every year, space heaters account for more than 25,000 residential fires causing more than 300 deaths according to a report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Here Are A Few Tips To Keep In Mind When Using A Space Heater.

Photo by Alirad Zare on Unsplash
Photo by Alirad Zare on Unsplash
loading...

Keep Your Heater On The Floor

Jen Austin - Townsquare Media
Jen Austin - Townsquare Media
loading...

: Its recommended that you keep your heater on the flattest, smoothest surface possible. Avoid placing it on rugs or setting it on a shelf or a stool.

Keep It Away From Water

Realtor
Realtor
loading...

Avoid using it in kitchens and bathrooms.

Use The "3 Foot Rule"

Stock Photography. A bedroom showing a bed, pillow
Fotopress/Getty Images
loading...

Avoid placing a space heater within three feet of anything flammable including curtains, papers, furniture, pillows and bedding.

Never Leave A Heater On Unattended

sad little boy and girl hugging father, family in sorrow
Getty Images/iStockphoto
loading...

: Kids or pets could knock it over causing a fire.

Plug It Into A Wall Outlet

Melz
Melz
loading...

Do not plug your heater into a surge protector, extension cord, or anything that's not a wall outlet. The added layers of electrical connection can overload the circuit, or create additional resistance that allows heat to build up which could in turn cause a fire.

Longview, TX Cold Weather Tips

With the Texas grid still questionable going into the winter months, the City of Longview has a few safety tips to help keep you warm!

5 New Year, New Me Ideas To Start On In Tyler, TX

Our friends at the Glass Recreation Center in Tyler recommend a few programs and classes that you can sign up for to start on your "new year, new me" goals!

25 Cold Cases for the Tyler, TX Police Department

Here are a few cases that law enforcement has deemed a cold case for the Tyler, Texas area.